The Challenge is a joint initiative of CoMotion, the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator, the NewCities Foundation, and our partners at the UK Government / British Consulate-General in Los Angeles, SparkLabs Group and Urban Movement Labs.
The Grand Prize Winner receives:
- A trip to present at SparkLabs Korea DemoDay16 in 2021, the largest accelerator demo day in the world. Over 2,500 people attend these half-day events twice a year. (Includes 1 economy fare ticket and a 3-night five-star hotel stay.)
- Three month mentoring from 2-3 of SparkLabs Partners or Venture Partners.
- The right to join Urban Movement Labs as a partner, alongside mobility luminaries like Lyft, Waymo, Verizon, and Avis Budget Group.
- Access to UML’s team of experts, resources, and data.
- The opportunity to network with other partner companies and organizations.
- The right to an accelerated incubator, including previewing applicable technology to UML stakeholders for potential deployment in an LA Urban Proving Ground.
- Promotion to the greater UML community.
- Intros to key stakeholders at the UK’s Department for Transport’s Future of Transportation Strategy Team or other team, as relevant.
- Intro to the Connected Places Catapult, Zenzic and UK testbeds.
- Connection to relevant universities such as Warwick and Cranfield.
- Support from London & Partners, including access to Transport for London.
- Socially-distanced in-person gathering to celebrate winners (potentially at British Consul General’s Residence or British Consulate).
- Recognition by UK senior leadership.
- Conversations with and case studies from similar companies that have set up in the UK.
- Intro to Satellite Applications Catapult, Innovate UK, or CCAV, as relevant.
- Possibility to connect with opportunities and offers in other regions of the UK including Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- Promotion of winning company in CoMotion NEWS.
- Exposure to the LACI team and opportunity to apply for its world-class startup incubation programs.
- LACI to make introductions to three curated investors.
Previous L.A. New Mobility Challenge Winners
Previous LANMC winners have used the event as a springboard for further growth: raising million of dollars in subsequent financing, while disrupting the mobility industry. Past winners include:
2019 Grand Prize Winner: Xtelligent – an infrastructure company developing the traffic signals of tomorrow.
2018 Grand Prize Winner: Metro Africa Express – a personal mobility company committed to making moto-taxis safe, affordable and accessible across West Africa.
2017 Grand Prize Winner: Swiftly – a smart infrastructure company developing enterprise software to help transit agencies and cities improve urban mobility.